'Oh, so that's who Richard Morris is..." Lord Hattersley on The Daily Politics

'An influential activist' - The Guardian

'Iain Dale, without the self loathing' - Matthew Fox in The New Statesman

'
You are a tinker...' - Tim Farron

Friday 25 November 2011

As a public service I present a ten word description of 'The Grapes of Wrath' to save you reading it.

There's a lot of talk about 'The Grapes of Wrath' right now. I think the BBC4 are having a bit of a season. Anyway, I keep hearing people are reading it...

Call me shallow - I know you will - but I can't stand 'The Grapes of Wrath' and always describe it as my least favourite book. Ever.

I am not denying its fine writing. Its important themes. Its interesting analogies with today, in its depiction of greedy immoral bankers crushing the poor underfoot. You can find out all the reaons why its a great book in Melvyn Bragg's piece over at The Guardian

But I found reading it a totally unsatisfying experience. So here - in rather fewer words than Melvyn - is a summation of why I don't enjoy The Grapes of Wrath.

It is:

Depressing
Traumatic
Unrelenting
Savage*
Drudgery
Miserable
Cruel
Painful
Morbid
Horrifying

*shamelessly nicked off Melvyn

If that's your cup of tea and if your idea of a storming night out at the pictures is 'We need to talk about Kevin' then nip onto Amazon now and get a copy; otherwise - my advice? Life's too short...

Sorry and all that

PS Why not read 'The Road to Wigan Pier' instead. Same sentiment, much better

No comments:

Post a Comment